Communication: Consulted with a client regarding a family trust drafted in Nevada with concerns about the trust language.
- Reviewed terms and conditions of the trust for client and consulted same on meaning and consequences of that document
- Client was a farmer and cattleman and desired clarification of the terms of the trust drafted by his lawyers in Nevada
- Successfully explained difficult legal concepts (the rule against perpetuities and powers of appointments) to my client to his satisfaction
Result: Named Trustee of the family trust, and directed over $2,000,000.00 in assets for the family.
Analyze: Implemented a plan to resolve a Will dispute for a client using a creative and rare legal technique.
- Analyzed difficult legal fact situation and filed a partition action to resolve client’s legal challenge
- Set procedures and goals regarding sale and public auction of property to resolve legal issues
- Launched and monitored lawsuit through the courts up until time of public auction
- Represented client at auction and resolved the issue at hand
Result: Client received payment of $130,000.00 at public auction which was well above appraised/market value of the property sold.
Management: Partner of successful law firm in Cedar Rapids, IA
- Lead successful startup of a four-partner law firm with supervision of a staff of five persons.
Result: Successful law firm with over $300,000.00 in revenues in its first year of operation.
Complex litigation: Negotiated settlement in closed head injury case favorably with Co- Counsel, Bruce Brailey.
- Conducted successful litigation, pursued discovery and tracked medical reports over five years in working up a complex personal injury suit involving a minor child.
- Prepared for trial and negotiated settlement favorably with insurance defense counsel.
Result: Client received a structured settlement that will net him one million dollars over the next 30 years of his life.